Buhari Says INEC’s Incompetence Is Unacceptable To Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed his thoughts over the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over its incompetence in the conduct if the 2019 general elections.

Hours to the commencement of the presidential elections, INEC had released a statement announcing that the elections have been postponed from 16th of February, 2019 to 23rd of February, 2019, reasons being that electoral materials were not enough, logistical problems, and claims of attempted sabotage.

This sparked a lot of annoyance in Nigerians who took to social media to describe how they felt over the announcement made. Some called for the resignation of the INEC chairman, Prof. Yakubu Mahmood.

While speaking at the emergency caucus meeting of the All Progressive Congress (APC), President Muhammadu Buhari said that the commission’s failure to conduct elections at the earlier stipulated date was unacceptable.

Definitely, the reasons why such incompetence manifests itself has to be explained to the nation.

“After the elections, we have to know exactly what happened and who’s responsible. Otherwise, our efforts to make sure this system we voluntarily accept is not making progress.

“What is the use if we accept incompetence? The constitution and the laws protected INEC but they must not take us for granted”.

He also cautioned against election violence and warned elections riggers to expect a harsh reaction from security agents.

The national chairman of the APC, Adams Oshiomhole, also criticised INEC’s decision and accused the commission of informing the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) about the postponement before it was officially made public.

He also said the party will not adhere to INEC’s ban on the resumption of campaigns by political parties, noting that the party has to continue to inform the electorate about its plans.

The Presidential and National Assembly elections that were supposed to take place on February 16 will now take place on February 23, while the Governorship and State House of Assembly elections initially scheduled for March 2 have been moved to March 9.

Buhari Not Planning To Remove Yakubu As INEC Chairman

President Muhammadu Buhari has no plans to sack the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, before the rescheduled 2019 general elections.

Yakubu had postponed the elections, previously scheduled for February 16, for an extra week due to logistical problems and claims of attempted sabotage.

The postponement was not well received by Nigerians, with some calling for Yakubu’s resignation. Amid the wave of protests, the opposition has also alleged that President Buhari was planning to remove Yakubu and install someone else that will do his bidding.

However, the president’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, told The Nation that he has no such plans, calling the reports “baseless and false”.

“There is nothing like that. Whoever is saying the President is removing INEC chairman is just displaying his illiteracy. Let him go and read the constitution.

“You need a resolution by two-thirds majority of the Senate for any such action,” he said.

The national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, had alleged that Buhari was planning to remove Yakubu so as to cling to power by whatever manipulation required.

According to Pulse News, a presidency source told The Nation that the allegations are only designed to create electoral anarchy and disrupt all preparations for the poll and create unrest nationwide.

Report

What do you think?

1387 points
Upvote Downvote

Leave a Reply

Loading…

0

Comments

0 comments

Yvonne Jegede Dedicates Son, husband reportedly absent

“We demand greater openness and transparency”, Fashola Tells INEC