Director Denis Villeneuve had said earlier in an interview with Variety a few weeks before his live picture adaptation Frank Hebert’s 1965 novel of the same title hit the theatres that the story was too big to tell in one film.
“The story is so rich and complex that, in order to be faithful to the book, we’ll need to make at least two movies,” he told Variety. “That was a deal right at the start.” Everyone who has seen “Dune” will agree with Villeneuve, or even better, faithfuls of the source material.
Today, in an announcement from Legendary Entertainment, a sequel for “Dune” was confirmed.
“This is only the beginning…,” Legendary tweeted. “Thank you to those who have experienced @dunemovie so far, and those who are going in the days and weeks ahead. We’re excited to continue the journey!”
“Dune” hit theatres worldwide on Friday, October 22 and has since received rave reviews from moviegoers and critics. Although there had been a few films and TV series that tried to adapt Hebert’s novel in the past, Villeneuve’s take seem to be bulldozing its way into top spot, with star casts Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya stealing the hearts of many viewers. And with a $40 million opening weekend in the US and over $220 globally, it makes sense that Villeneuve’s wishes have been granted by Legendary Entertainment, the main people behind the movie’s finances.
Watch out for how “Dune” performs when the award season opens next year, especially as it is already touted by many as Oscars material.
Although still speculative, “Dune: Part 2” will hit theaters on Oct. 20, 2023.
You can read our review of “Dune” here. And you should totally see it if you haven’t already.